Resources for “Ethics in Action”
We encourage academic and other institutions everywhere to use Global Ethics Day to hold programs focusing on ethics, such as lectures, film screenings, debates, panel discussions, or activities to protect the environment.
In the tradition of a “teach-in” model, these events will be run by each institution as it sees fit, while being part of a worldwide Global Ethics Day. Popular topics include ethics in business, the environment, ethics in the classroom, personal values, democracy, and human rights.
PLEASE remember to post photos on Instagram, Facebook, and Carnegie Council’s Global Ethics Network with the hashtag #globalethicsday2019. You can also submit them to us directly here.
Ideas & Activities
Global Ethics Day participants in recent years have included educational institutions such as universities, colleges, military academies, medical schools, and business schools; business associations; and ethics groups and networks.
Activities have included:
- Lectures, debates, and symposia
- Film screenings followed by discussions
- Ethics film festival
- Environmental clean-up
- Tables set up in a supermarket to educate the public about caring for the environment
- Creation of videos focusing on an ethical question or dilemma
- Creation of posters, where participants were asked to write their thoughts on various ethical issues
- Newspaper and web articles
- Radio interview
- Full-page newspaper ad
- The burial of a time capsule to be dug up on a future Global Ethics Day
- Speaking out against contract cheating by students (the International Day of Action Against Contract Cheating also takes place in October)
Some general themes for discussion:
- Is there such a thing as a global ethic, i.e. a set of universal values? If so, what are these values?
- What is the most pressing ethical challenge facing the world today?
- How do different systems of ethics compare with each other?
- What is ethical leadership?
- Personal values: What do ethics mean to you?
- Climate change and sustainability
- Human rights
- The growing crises in democracies and the rise of authoritarian regimes
- Ending hunger
- Ethics in war
- Ethical issues raised by artificial intelligence (AI) and technology
- Gender equality, the #MeToo movement, discrimination against LGBTQ people
- How can we put an end to corruption?
Themes of ethics in business and the professions:
- How to combat corruption
- Ethical decision-making
- How can businesses positively influence the world around them?
- Professional ethics: going beyond risk management and compliance
- How to prevent sexual harassment and harassment of minorities
- Creating and promoting clear ethical guidelines
- Creating and promoting ethics training modules
- Medical ethics
Online Resources About Ethics
Carnegie Council and partners have developed many useful resources for educators and students that can provide background information about ethics, and inspiration for Global Ethics Day events:
- Overview of education resources on the Carnegie Council website
- Ethics on film—synopses and reviews of more than 80 films detail with issues of global ethics
- Short videos with experts and leaders discussing politics, economics, the environment, and philosophy
- CFA Institute Ethics Learning Lab—home of the “Giving Voice to Values for Investment Professionals” and “Ethical Decision-Making” programs as well as other ethics education resources
Ethics in Business Video Series
In 2018, ACCA (the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) teamed up with Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs and CFA Institute to celebrate Global Ethics Day 2018.
As part of their longer-term collaboration, the three organizations are producing a video interview series, “Ethics in Business: In Their Own Words.“
It features global business leaders exploring how businesses are preparing for an ethical future in the face of threats and challenges presented by globalization, technology, and human psychology.
If you’d like, download and print these posters to use freely during your Global Ethics Day activities.
Here are Global Ethics Day logos you can download and use in your 2019 materials.