Resources for “Ethics in Action”
Ideas & Activities
Global Ethics Day participants in recent years have included educational institutions, professional organizations, business associations, and various ethics networks. Previous Global Ethics Day activities include the organization of lectures and debates; publication of articles, interviews, and social media campaigns, and even environmental clean-ups, canvassing, and time capsules.
General questions for discussion:
- What does ethics mean to you?
- Is there such a thing as a global ethic, i.e. a set of universal values? If so, what are these values?
- What is the most pressing ethical challenge facing the world today?
- How should we define ethical leadership?
General themes for discussion:
- Climate change and sustainability
- Human rights and inequality
- War, peace, and corruption
- Access to food, water, and medicine
- Artificial intelligence (AI) and technology
- Discrimination by gender, race, sexual orientation, or identity
Themes of ethics in business:
- Ethical decision-making and going beyond risk management and compliance
- Positive social impact
- Preventing sexual harassment and discrimination in the workplace
- Creating and promoting clear ethical guidelines
If you’d like, download and print these posters to use freely during your Global Ethics Day activities.
Ethics in Business Video Series
In 2018, ACCA (the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) teamed up with Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs and CFA Institute to celebrate Global Ethics Day 2018.
As part of their longer-term collaboration, the three organizations are producing a video interview series, “Ethics in Business: In Their Own Words.“
It features global business leaders exploring how businesses are preparing for an ethical future in the face of threats and challenges presented by globalization, technology, and human psychology.
Online Resources About Ethics
Carnegie Council and partners have developed many useful resources for educators and students that can provide background information about ethics, and inspiration for Global Ethics Day events:
- Overview of education resources on the Carnegie Council website
- Ethics on film—synopses and reviews of more than 80 films detail with issues of global ethics
- Short videos with experts and leaders discussing politics, economics, the environment, and philosophy
- CFA Institute Ethics Learning Lab—home of the “Giving Voice to Values for Investment Professionals” and “Ethical Decision-Making” programs as well as other ethics education resources